Tuesday, March 17, 2009

good toes, naughty toes

My daughter was in danger of getting KICKED OUT of ballet class at age 4 and a half, which is quite a record for our family to be getting kicked out of something. The charges: disturbing the peace and being a public nusiance. And so, I was requested to go down for a lesson to keep an eye on her and make sure she didn't get up to any mischief.

When I was her age, I was also taking ballet lessons. For all the good it did me. I think I was the least uncoordinated ballet dancer in the history of bad ballet dancers. I failed my grade one ballet and never went back, much to Mrs Demerick's disappointement. I was crap but she had great hopes for me. In the exam, the school hall roof was leaking and I was placed next to the bucket. I didn't kick the bucket although I did slip on the wet floor a few times. I know it sounds like an excuse, but honestly, I would have been brilliant if it wasn't for rain that day.

Watching Shaili today, I can see the striking family resemblance. She can't bend over and touch her toes, she can't sit with her legs stretched in front of her and fold her top half down on her legs. Her first position is alright, but they get increasingly dodgy from there... Don't ask about the arabesque.

However, she was really very well behaved. I was impressed at her trying. And she's really good at point and flex, which I know as good toes and naughty toes. Maybe she won't be the next Darcy Bussel, and most likely she won't be in any west end chorus, but good for her for trying and not getting kicked out!

3 comments:

  1. The girl's got confidence no matter WHAT her skeptic mama says... way to go Shaili... enjoying her way and to hell with plier-relever...
    (ex cubicle neighbour).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totaly agree! way to go Shaili!
    and if she wants she'll be a dancer yet...
    rythem is fine but having fun is what couts!
    (assistant to ex cubicle neighbour)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum was told (kindly) that there is no need for me to return to the next term of Jazz-Ballet when I was 6....THATS why im not a dancer now !!!

    ReplyDelete