Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ode to torgovnik


I love this shot taken in Rwanda by Jonathan Togovnik.

The story is that the older daughter, the one she's hugging, is from her marriage. The daughter born of love.

The second daughter, the one in the background, was born after Valentine was raped by militia.

"he put a spear in my leg, he pierced my leg and forced me to be apart and he ruthlessly raped me for four hours. I stayed in that place being raped every night for six days. Why I love the first daughter more is because I gave birth to her as a result of love. The father was my husband. The second girl is a result of unwanted circumstance"

I think the photo captures the mood so well.


Check out http://www.torgovnik.com/, he has many great shots, including a series on the reserve soldiers...check out Dr Riba who is Shaili's pigeon toes doctor.

1 comment:

  1. what a tragic photo - that poor child leaning against the door, what her life must be like... makes me feel ashamed of humanity.

    ReplyDelete