Monday, January 19, 2009

there's an elephant in my blogroom too, but I keep stubbing my toe on it

In our company we have a library that serves the company. I've been there for 5.5 years and never needed the library. When it moved location, they did a grand reopening. I hear 4 people turned up, and 2 of them work in the library.

Slash slash slash!

The sound of layoffs is in the air. 30 people go home. Your friends. Your colleagues. Good people. Long-serving people. Management are huddled in the conference room with the good chairs. They've gone past the fat and are cutting the meat. Groups of two and three have "corridor conversations". Meetings are entitled "updates". Everyone looks grave (except for some people who must work for finance who still find the mood to play ping pong). Why this one and not that one? Why me and not them? How much longer do I have? My boss advises us to keep our powder dry. I'm not sure if he means gun powder or foot powder because the advice follows a story about his nephew the soldier who was holed up in Gaza and didn't change his socks for 12 days.

The library is still safe. They say that the librarians will be the ones to lock the front door after we all leave.

1 comment: